The Dorse

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

wordsthatjoinunnecessarilywithotherwords

Ahoy there readers, virtual greetings from, well, me.

Today is wednesday (just thought I would clear that up to begin with- I am on holidays and am out of the habit of using a calendar). This means we are ruminating on all things wordy. The topic you may have worked out (or you may not of, I'm not sure), it is one that has always tickled my fancy.

Words that join with other words. Now I don't wish to sound educated or for you to think I have done any research, but I think I am talking about compound words. More specifically, compound words that appear to be compounded for no reason (ie, not 'playground' but 'beforehand'). What is with that? Who started it (place, date, email address, etc.), and more importantly, who is going to end it? And with what instrument? All valid questions, and with equally valid answers I suspect. In a world now looking to condense sentences for SMS, chat and email purposes, are we heading towards a communication system consisting of whole paragraphs of joined words? Let me, and the head of your local council, know immediately!

Anyway, ponder these massive issues as you meander through the myriad of life. I know I have been challenged to think about the impact of these multi-compounded words in my everyday life. Therefore, comewhatmay, I will henceforth show the wherewithall to include the aforementioned words inspiteof any forseeable need to join words that had hitherto been used only on rare occasions but are, however, nevertheless runofthemill in everyday English language.

Ciao!

1 Comments:

  • The importance of compound words notwithstanding, I wanted to wish you all the best for the upcoming nups. And it's good to see another entry.

    I realise my comment isn't quite as witty as the two prior, but I am just a humble fellow of mediocre brain.

    Adios, Mon Ami!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/29/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home